UMPIRES TAKE NOTE:
Games without adult umpires ... Summary: Rule 9.03 (d) – Added language allowing the local league to designate an adult Game Coordinator if an adult umpire is not present at the game.
Full Text of Change
(d) If no adult umpire is available for a game, and non‐adult umpires are used exclusively for that game, the local Little League must assign an adult as Game Coordinator, or the game cannot be played. The Game Coordinator must not be a manager or coach of either team in the game, and cannot be assigned as Game Coordinator for more than one game at a time. The Game Coordinator’s duties shall be:
(1) To be included in the pre‐game meeting as noted in Rule 4.01.
(2) To remain at the game at all times, including between half‐innings, in a position to see all actions on the field and in close proximity to the field (not in any enclosure). If, for some reason, the Game Coordinator is not present or is unable to perform his/her duties for any reason, the game must be suspended until the Game Coordinator returns, or until a new adult Game Coordinator is present and assumes the duties of Game Coordinator for the remainder of the game;
(3) To oversee the conduct of all players, managers, coaches and umpires in the game;
(4) To have the authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager, or substitute for objecting to the decisions of an umpire, for unsportsmanlike conduct or language, or for any of the reasons enumerated in these Playing Rules, and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field. If the Game Coordinator disqualifies a player while a play is in progress, the disqualification shall not take effect until no further action is possible in that play;
(5) To have the sole ability to judge as to whether and when play shall be suspended during a game because of inclement weather conditions or the unfit condition of the playing field; as to whether and when play shall be resumed after such suspension; and as to whether and when a game shall be terminated after such suspension. Said Game Coordinator shall not call the game until at least thirty minutes after play as suspended. The Game Coordinator may continue suspension as long as there is any chance to resume play. (This supersedes Rule 3.10.)
Games suspended ... Summary: Rule 13 – Regulation Game: Removed wording requiring games to “revert” to the previous full inning’s score when – after the game reaches the point of a regulation game – the visiting team ties the game or takes the lead, and the game is suspended before the home team completes its at‐bat and does not take the lead, and the game cannot be resumed on that same day. Page T‐20 (Baseball), T‐18 (Softball).
Full Text of Change, with Surrounding Wording
b. Regulation games (when a winner can be determined) terminated because of weather, darkness or curfew must be resumed if the visiting team ties the game or takes the lead in their half of the inning and the home team does not complete their at bat or take the lead in an incomplete inning. This does not apply to games suspended or delayed by weather that may still be resumed before darkness or curfew (as defined in Tournament Rules and Guidelines – Curfew) on the same day.
Electronic devices ... Summary: Rule 3.17: Added language allowing the use of electronic devices in the dugout provided these devices are not used for communication. Page 65 (Baseball) 63 (Softball)
Full Text of Change
Penalty: If, in the umpire’s judgment, any player, manager or coach uses an electronic communications device during the game, the penalty is ejection from the game. NOTE 1: A manager or coach is permitted to use a scorekeeping and/or pitch‐counting application on an electronic device without penalty, provided such device is not used to receive messages of any sort.
For PDF version of the full league changes ... click here.